Photobucket
Photobucket

Saturday, September 26, 2009

My Eleventh Fishing Trip - 24 Sep - Kusu Island

Kusu Island... Hmmm...

All psyched up for this trip, but when I got up around 830am, it was raining shits and peas. Sigh. So emo I tell you. Then Melvin called me and said it was raining heavily but Woodlands side stopped already, so the rain should stop soon and he was already on the train. But it looked like the kinda rain that wouldn't stop around my area. From where I live, if it rains here = Kusu Island also rains. So I looked for the weather report and my heart sank further.

Thursday Morning Temperature: 26°C
Cloudy with showers likely. Chance of a thunderstorm. 5 to 6 mm of rain.
Thursday Afternoon Temperature: 31°C
Cloudy with showers likely. Chance of a thunderstorm. 9 to 10 mm of rain.
Saturday Evening Temperature: 28°C
A mix of cloudy and syb with showers likely. Chance of a thunderstorm. 10 to 11 mm of rain.

Geez..... My sister asked me if I wanted to cancel the trip but I couldn't although I was tempted to, Melvin and Ethan already en route. Oh yea, was taking my sister and her bf along for this trip. She's going back to UK for her studies this Sunday so I thought I'd take her at least once.


Once we arrived at Marina South Pier, the rain had barely stopped, was still drizzling though. Oh, I didn't tell anyone about the weather report till we arrived on the Island :P

Once we arrived at Kusu, as usual, we immediately proceeded to the unused jetty and set up our equip with lightning speed. Casted the 9ft rods out and started jigging with the 5fts.

The last trip I made, alone I got like what, 15 fishes in 30mins? So be prepared for many many many pics as 5 of us were there for 1/2 a day. But obviously I'm not gonna put every single pic up. Still, there's gonna be quite a few this post.

Within 5mins, both Melvin and I got the same fish one after the other, me first of course, I'm the pro remember? Strange ass fish, first time seeing it.


Common Name(s): Common Bullseye
Scientific Name: Pempheris Multiradiata
Photobucket

As we continued on, more and more of the usual suspects emerged. Here's one point to note. The water was great for fishing that day and the sun was up, super hot, but we weren't getting as many bites as I did previously. Also the fishes pulled up were of limited range unlike my last trip here. Here's why I think this is so. The last time I came, I used prawns bought from the market. But whenever we go fishing with Melvin, we use frozen peeled prawns. Why? Melvin is a chef and I always ask him to kope prawns from his kitchen. I always say, "High quality prawn = High quality catch". I just say that to make him bring them, but I actually think the chances are lower. His frozen prawns have no smell. After touching them, no smell. Here are some pics of the usual suspects.

I don't know what fish this is, looks like a bream to me. In fact it's tail looks like the Butterfly Whiptail, but colour is different. So I'm just gonna list it as that.

Common Name(s): Butterfly Whiptail
Scientific Name: Pentapodus Setosus
Photobucket

Common Name(s): White-shouldered Whiptail
Scientific Name: Pentapodus Bifasciatus
Photobucket
Photobucket

Common Name(s): Charcoal Damsel
Scientific Name: Pomacentrus Brachialis
Photobucket
Photobucket

Common Name(s): Camera Whore
Scientific Name: Kameranus Fagatronis Corksucka

Photobucket

Common Name(s): Scissortail Sergeant
Scientific Name: Abudefduf Sexfasciatus
Photobucket
Photobucket

Many different kind of Tuskfishes today, lazy to list each name so just ima just leave you with one name :P

Common Name(s): Blackspot Tuskfish
Scientific Name: Choerodon Schoenleinii
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Common Name(s): Diamond Wrasse, Bubblefin Wrasse
Scientific Name: Halichoeres Nigrescens
Photobucket

Common Name(s): Chocolate Hind, Indian Grouper
Scientific Name: Cephalopholis Boenak
Photobucket
Photobucket

and just in case you missed it the last time..

Common Name(s): Camera Whore
Scientific Name: Kameranis Fagatronus Corksucka

Photobucket

We got two of this. Sister's bf pulled up the smallest one I've ever seen. His was the size of a 20cent coin.

Welp, thats all folks! But hey, I'm not done.

I was determined not to be confined to that jetty today, so I planned my next stop. Since I knew there were only two ferry timings that day (one that took us there and one that would take us back), I figured no one would give a shit if I fished at the main jetty. There was a NO FISHING sign by the way. Meh, what gives? Turned out shitty and boring, less bites than the other jetty, sangkot heaven and same damned fishes anyway.

So I moved to the beach behind the unused jetty the others were still at, Melvin was behind me. When I reached there, I dropped my rod and bait and went... "Wow..." Here's why.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Quickly snapped a few shots before Melvin came over. Looking down just at the shoreline, I saw thousands of small fishes. Thousands. And by small I mean longkang fish size small, Ikan Bilis small. Then I looked a little further by the rocks and went, "Holy Mary mother of............"

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Yep, they were the length of my forearm plus minus. Are they Threadfins? I'm not sure, haven't caught one, but sure as hell looks like it to me. Expensive great eating fishes. So you ask, "If so many, then why so expensive?" Well, do you see me catching any? They were swimming at our feet but won't take the bait. When Melvin came over and saw them, he sooooooo excited he ran back to change his line. One actually started to nibble his bait but he was so excited he struck soooo early and didn't get shit. All were scared after that. Asshole.

Anyways, if you read my last Kusu post about the big ass fish I couldn't identify and wanted to catch at the jetty, I found out what it is. A nice forum kaki PM'd me a pic, strange he could tell what I was talking about from my vague description. Well it's a Rabbit Fish, huge ass one though. It was still there, uncatchable. Well, fuck you Rabbit Fish, I got a new target now.

That school of Threadfins.

Next time, I'll get you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Photobucket